Tuesday, January 19

New York Pedicabs Go Legit, Lose Outlaw Status

by Victor Ozols

I've never taken a pedicab in my life, but it seems I'm in the minority, as the number of the pedal-powered bicycle taxis has risen dramatically since their introduction to New York in 1995. Pedicabs have become so popular, in fact, that they're now regulated by the city, which requires vehicles to be insured, inspected, and fitted with seat belts, headlights, and hydraulic brakes. A story in The New York Times explains that the new regulations legitimize an industry that began as something of a fringe group, attracting actors, artists, and various downtown weirdos to a unique profession that could net them up to $1,000 a week and help them stay skinny and hot.

Back in 1995, I was living on East Third Street above a bar called The Edge when the first pedicabs began rolling out of a garage just down the block, next to the Hells Angels clubhouse. I honestly thought they'd never be more than a novelty in the city. After all, pedicabs go slower than taxis and cost more. But people must like the open-air ride, with good views and occasional moments of terror, because nowadays I see them everywhere, especially in midtown where I work. Their increasing popularity in the city is especially odd because cyclos and rickshaws are a dying breed in places like Vietnam, India, and China, rapidly being replaced by cars and smoke-belching scooters.

So I guess pedicabs are a good addition to New York's streets, because they emit no exhaust and are a nearly silent form of transport in a city with more than enough noise. I'm still unlikely to flag one down, though, because I automatically head for the subway whenever I need to travel fast. Have you ever taken a pedicab in New York or anywhere else? Share your experience in the comments.